Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Plettenberg Bay Shark Attack



A 49 year old surfer was killed on 23 August 2011 by a shark in Plettenberg BaySouth Africa
The man, who surfing website Wavescape identifies as Tim van Heerden, was attacked by an unknown breed of shark on Lookout Beach.
According to reports, the attack happened at Keurbooms River Mouth. Despite paramedics’ attempts to resuscitate him at the beach, he later died in hospital.
Wavescape writes that eye witnesses said the shark looked like a “small” great white and that the man was pulled out of the water by a fellow surfer, identified as Charles Reitz.
My personal note:  This story took my breath away when I saw the title. Does it really say Plettenberg Bay, South Africa??!!  The answer is yes! For most of you readers Plettenberg Bay is just another city where another shark attack has occurred.  However, for me this city is so much more than a city…it is a place that I called home for a brief period in my life.
In 2004 I conducted my undergraduate research in Plettenberg Bay, South Africa.  I was conducting scientific research at Lookout Beach and was daily in these waters.  Not to mention one of our work stations was at the mouth of Keurbooms River.  I know these waters, swam these waters, and collected data on the sharks in this area.  Yes, of course I knew sharks were in this area – I was there and saw them with my eyes, collected data on them, but I never feared them, however, today’s story reminds me that attacks do happen EVERYWHERE, even places I called “paradise”.

No comments:

Post a Comment